Before you Move

If you’re moving between homes in Ontario, it’s important to remember to cancel your current utility service and renew it at your new location. Here’s how to handle it, in just a few steps.

1. Contact Your Current Utility

First, you need to get a hold of your current utility provider so that you can cancel service at your old address. All utilities require about five days of advance notice for disconnecting service, so don’t wait until the last minute. A week or two of lead time is advisable. You should be able to contact your utility either online or by phone.

You’ll need your account number, which you can find on your electricity bill and natural gas bill. In addition, if you have a contract with an electricity or natural gas retailer, you’ll need to contact them as well. You should try and give your retail provider at least two weeks’ notice. They will transfer service to your new address, or cancel your contract if they are unable to serve you at your new location.

2. Contact Your New Utility

Obviously, you want to have service at your new address, so you’ll need to contact the utilities that serve the area you’ll be moving to. Ontario Energy Board offers pages where you can locate the local electricity utility and natural gas utility for any city in Ontario.

Once you’ve identified your new utilities, you’ll need to give them a call, ideally a week or two ahead of time. Information you’ll need to provide may include:

  • Name
  • New address
  • Billing address, if this differs from the above
  • Home and work phone numbers
  • A copy of government ID
  • Names of any other adults living at the new location
  • The date on which you want to start service

3. Pay Any Necessary Security Deposits or Activation Fees

Utility companies usually charge a setup fee for setting up electricity or natural gas delivery. If your old utility provides services in your new location, they may waive this fee. In addition, some utilities require the payment of a security deposit before they will connect your meter. But this is sometimes waived if you have been in good standing with your previous utility for a year or more.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.