By Brittany Medcalf,

Did you know the Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP-1) is a Government contract?

Unlike home insurance, it does not matter which insurance company your policy is with.  Your automobile policy will be the exact same.  The only difference being price!

Let’s talk about your coverage’s for a moment.  There are six areas of coverage on your policy and they are as follows:

  1. Liability – Liability insurance is mandatory in order to drive a vehicle on the road in Ontario.  This provides coverage in the even the owner or driver of the vehicle is sued as a result of an at fault accident causing injuries or property damage.
  1. Accident Benefits – The standard Ontario Auto Insurance Policy provides benefits to you if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident. This coverage will protect you as a driver of your own vehicle, a passenger in someone else’s vehicle or as a pedestrian.  Your accident benefits may also extend coverage to another person who is injured in the same accident if they do not have their own auto insurance coverage.

8 Subsections of Accident Benefits and what they cover

  1. Medical Rehabilitation and Attendant Care Benefit
  • Reimbursement for an attendant to look after you either at home or within a healthcare facility
  1. Caregiver Benefit
  • Reimbursement to hire someone to care for your dependents
  1. Housekeeping + Home Maintenance Expenses
  • Reimbursement for someone to carry out your household responsibilities
  1. Income Replacement Benefit
  • A weekly income up to $400 that begins one week after accident occurs
  1. Dependent Care Benefit
  • Reimbursement for additional expenses to care for your dependents if you’re employed and injured from a car accident
  1. Death + Funeral Expenses
  • A lump sum payout to your spouse and dependent(s): a second lump sum to cover the cost of funeral expenses
  1. Indexation Benefit
  • Adjustment of benefits to account for changes in inflation
  1. Tort Deductible
  • The amount deducted from a settlement or court award for pain and suffering


  1. Uninsured Automobile Coverage – Unfortunately there are vehicles on the road that are not insured. If you have the misfortune experience to be involved in an accident with another driver who is uninsured, your auto policy will provide limited coverage.
  1. Direct Compensation – Property Damage – In Ontario we have a “No Fault Auto Insurance System.” This name is a little misleading for the system as fault is always assigned in an accident. The term ‘no fault’ simply means that you can go back to your own insurance policy to have your vehicle repaired regardless of fault.  Not at fault accidents fall under DCPD (Direct Compensation Property Damage.
  1. Family Protection –This coverage was implemented to cover you from under insured drivers. If you, or a family member is injured or killed in an accident by a driver who does not hold enough coverage, this coverage kicks in and pays an additional amount for the injury sustained. Family protection (OPCF #44) may top up the coverage to a maximum of your own liability limit
  1. Loss or Damage (The Optional Stuff) – Collision Upset
  • Collision Upset – Provides coverage to repair your vehicle if the vehicle is involved in a collision. The collision can be with another vehicle, the surface of the around or an object on the ground.  Collision is required for at faults accidents, hit and run accidents and involvement in any accident outside of Ontario.
  • Comprehensive – is a very broad coverage that will cover most damage to the vehicle excluding Collision or Upset
  • Specified Perils – Provides very limited coverage (fire, theft, lightning, windstorm, hail)
  • All Perils – Is the broadest coverage as it combines the coverage’s listed under Comprehensive and Collision with the addition of theft of the vehicle by someone living under your roof

When Should You Increase Your Accident Benefits?

For those who are self-employed, they have the greatest exposure to requiring increased Accident Benefits as they often do not have any group insurance coverage from their employer.  Standard income replacement and disability coverage’s are often not enough should you be unable to work due to an auto accident. This AB buy up chart will help you find your way

Brittany Medcalf is an Account Executive at Oegema, Nicholson Insurance. With over 10 years of industry experience she thrives on being more than a broker. She’s your friend, advisor, business partner and will not leave gaps in covering your assets!

To reach Brittany call (613) 256-3044 ext. 304 or by email:

Social Media FB work page:


About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.